By Erin Paly
September. That perfect month in which the heat of summer has started to subside, while the chill of autumn has not yet arrived.
This month is absolutely perfect for those of us with gardens, and for those of us who love fresh, seasonal produce in general!
At this time of the year, pumpkin, squash, kale, brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes are plentiful and would create a hearty, aromatic curry. Farm fresh veggies are healthy, delicious and fun to cook – ESPECIALLY when spicing things up a bit.
Here at Karen’s Spice Kitchen, we believe veggie curries are ALWAYS in season.
But we’d be remiss in our duties if we didn’t remind you to take advantage of the seasonal harvest and celebrate by whipping up a tasty pot of curry, chock full of your favorite veggies. No matter if you’re vegetarian, vegan, or a proud carnivore, enjoy this healthy meal with your protein of choice and a packet of our veggie curry spice blend… and thank us later! Most of our spice blends can be used with vegetables and plant protein in place of meat.
If you don’t have your own garden, why not take advantage of the opportunity to support local at your local farmers’ market!
Looking for a refreshing way to add some pizazz to your warm weather culinary experience? Check out this unique recipe that puts a spin on your traditional chicken salad.
Curried Chicken Salad
Great served on its own, in a lettuce wrap or tortilla or between slices of bread as a sandwich. Parents, this makes a great back-to-school lunch for the kiddos!
· 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
· ½ cup mayonnaise
· 1 tablespoon of Karen’s Spice Kitchen spice blend of your choice (we recommend Beef Madras, Shrimp Curry, Chicken Tikka Masala, Butter Chicken, Chicken & Chickpea or Veggie Curry)
· ½ teaspoon salt
· 2 ribs celery, finely diced
· ½ apple diced, with skin
· 1 cup grapes, halved
· 3 scallions, finely sliced
· ¼ cup raisins
· 1 tablespoon lime juice
· ½ cup roasted cashews or pecans
· In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, curry powder, lime juice and salt.
· Add the cooked chicken, celery, apple and scallions and mix together.
· Fold in the raisins and chill until ready to serve.
· Add the cashews or pecans last before serving so they stay crunchy.
To order your spice blends or to learn more, check out our website: www.karensspicekitchen.com and please share with your family and friends!
Happy September, and Happy Harvest! Now bring on the changing leaves of fall! Another perfect season for curry, we might add…